Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mountains And Rivers (And A Discussion Without End)

I'm really into Harpers Ferry lately. Jaime and I have a continuing debate about where to live and why, and I continually look up Harpers Ferry and get really excited. I like the town, of course. It's on the Appalachian Trail, it's at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. It's a short trip to DC for my vegan food and social networks. It's got a lot of what I want. It's too small, really, but with the nearness of everything back east I wouldn't feel like it. (And it really is small. Not thirty thousand people small. Three hundred people small. After living in Seattle, with a metro area of over three million, that us unimaginable. Three hundred people live within fifty feet of me. )

I miss the east, though. I feel silly for it. I don't feel like I should miss it. I'm not a history buff, and I don't like humidity. But the honest truth is I miss it. I need to live within a decent distance of culture and food, so I need a city. I also don't want insane traffic and crime, so I need some distance. And those green rolling hills of WV...

The cannons are optional.

I have no idea where J and I will end up. I like Seattle, and I could take settling down here. I admit, objectively, that it is a better place for the kids to grow up. Easier, at least. We do have mountains and rivers here, and I enjoy them. They don't feel the same, though. Here it is harsh, intense and beautiful. In WV, it is simpler. The land is comfortable and human sized. The scale is reduced, and everything seems to fit my personality better. I'm at a loss as to what to do, but I do look up information about Harpers Ferry a good deal more than anything else. Maybe it's a good sign. Or maybe it's a chance for me to find something that turns me away from it for good. Either way, we need to decide in the next few months if we are staying here or moving. I'm not up for the decision yet, certainly. Harpers Ferry sure is pretty, though. I need to get a cannon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is hardly a town more beautiful than Harper's Ferry and hardly an area closer to perfect than the Potomac and Shenandoah River Valleys.

It's strange, Seattle is an amazing place. Everything I could want is here. But so often my heart longs to return east. I feel drawn to it almost magnetically.

If I were to stay in Seattle, I'd be happy. This is a great place. But something tells me that it's not our final stop.