Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Parents Discover "Free Time" Not a Myth

The rare double nap, much sought after by parents of two small children, has occurred. I'm playing on the computer and Jaime is cleaning. That says a lot about us, I think. I enjoy our life very much, and I am grateful for this chance to be a family, and have small kids. Still, we're busy enough that an hour to ourselves feels good.

With the cold and snow and time off, it really does feel like the holidays.

The next week will be much cleaning and cooking, I'm guessing. I'm trying to convince J to have a never-ending spread of chocolate treats in the house. I may actually win this one, too. She seems amenable at least. One secret of long and happy marriages is keep the husband stuffed with food. She's good at that.

I wonder what it will be like in a few years when we do have time to ourselves again on a regular basis. It's going to be strange to suddenly have an unscheduled day from time to time. Of course careers and social events that have been put on the back burner will get higher priority. But judging from how my life was before, it'll be a lighter workload than now.

I hear the fussing of the Viri now. He does not wake up well. Next to me Arkaedi is babbling and laughing. She wakes up better than her brother. "Prah! Buh Prah," she says. I think that's Arkaedi speak for "Let's get to playin, Papa!"

No comments: