Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Beach Weather, Seattle Style

It wasn't pouring down the rain, so it's beach weather! When it gets a little warm, or the sun comes out for a day, we spend the entire time outside. It reminds me of why I love Seattle. The beach and the clear mountain views are the antidote to Seattle drivers, dreary days, and 4pm sunsets. They are pure medicine for the heart. I know I'll have to leave Seattle, and there will be a lot of things I don't miss. But I will miss the Puget Sound and the mountains and the beaches. They are lovely. (I'll also miss doughnuts.)

The kids had a great time running around. In the morning we went to Carkeek, and they were really excited. They had just woken up from naps in the afternoon when we went to Richmond beach, and they were a little confused. It was nice to be outside though, and they dealt with dazed post nap confusion fairly well.

I hadn't been to Richmond beach before, and I was really glad to see it. It's laid out differently from Carkeek, with the train tracks way back from the beach and a long walkway leading to the water. It reminded me of the northern California coast. If you move up from the city of a Seattle a little bit everything looks a little like northern California. I don't know why that is. I like it though; it's a great layout, with more beach grass and shrubs. It feels like there's more space than at Carkeek, even though I think Carkeek is actually bigger. Carkeek's space is behind the tracks, and Richmond's is by the beach.

This weekend, with beaches and nice weather, made me ready for the spring and summer. I'm not even sure where I'll be, but I hope I can enjoy some of the Seattle spring at least before we move. Ideally I'd like to be here this summer and spend the days in the parks, and driving up Rainier again. But we'll see where needs take us. I do know that regardless of what happens I will always have a warm place in my heart for the natural beauty around here. Nothing compares to it.

No comments: