Friday, January 1, 2010

Arkaedi Day

It' s been two years since Arkaedi Sue was born. It doesn't feel like that much time has passed. I remember bringing her home from the birth center as though it was moments ago. Even more than with Viri, her first two years have flown by me. I can't believe my baby girl is walking and talking. (Today: "My birthday tomorrow!" "No, it's today." "My birthday tomorrow!")

Perhaps it's just that I'm not having anymore kids, or that she's my only daughter, but I don't think I'll accept her growing up the way I can accept Viri. He's my oldest, my son, and I have dreams for him as a man. Arkaedi will be a lovely woman, and have her own success, but I don't have the clarity with her that I should. Perhaps that will come with time. More likely, however, I am doomed to be one of those fathers who always see their daughter as a baby. I suppose as long as I maintain and awareness it isn't necessarily a problem. I don't imagine I have a choice either way, so me and Pretty will have to make the best of it.

I asked Arkaedi what she wants me to say on the blog, since it's about her. She said "My birthday tomorrow!" Happy birthday Pretty. Today.

No comments: