Wednesday, September 16, 2009

War! (On Coffee)

I'm taking a long coffee break. Not as in, relaxing away from my desk kinda break. I'm taking a break from my destructive relationship with coffee. Let me explain.

I fell in love with coffee quickly after moving to Seattle. Sure, I had always heard about how great coffee was, but I was skeptical of the chemical content, the caffeine. I had always been hesitant to take anything into my body, and coffee just seemed too risky. Well, the lovely hotness seduced me, and I was sucked into a vortex of self denial and hatred. Okay, so not that bad; but I did drink a ton of coffee.

I finally quit when I realized that it was affecting my behavior. It wasn't a huge change, but subtle differences that could have lasting effects. I was impatient with Viri, and when I didn't have coffee I would have a little extra patience. I was really crashing hard in the afternoon, and my energy level was really low. Jaime suggested that perhaps, as occasionally happens in my choices, I chose what seems good above what has long term positive effects for me. I know that she is right, and I'm finally coming around to her wisdom.

The final straw was a day at the zoo. It was a good day, overall, but I overreacted to Viri's bad behavoir, upsetting both of us. It was early afternoon, and I was crashing and irritable. He was being difficult, granted, but he's three. Even a minor problem can cascade, if you don't have an awareness of it. I'm proud that I have usually maintained a high level of self awareness about my emotions, and an appropriate level of self control. So, I'm taking a break. I'm going back to my old love, my high school sweetheart, tea.

I'm going to give it a few weeks, at the least. I'll try and clear everything from my system, see if my mood continues to be as good as it has been for the past week. If nothing changes, then I think perhaps coffee will have to be an monthly treat, and not a daily vice. Actually, I know that's the best option. I'll try and make it a reality.

No comments: