Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Seattle Tip of the Week Four: Guests

When guests come to visit in Seattle, there are a variety of activities you can do. The one thing you are required by law to do (Seattle Municipal Code 1:1) is go on and on about coffee, and sample every good coffee shop in the city. I have ingested more coffee this week than I had in my entire life up until now; and it's great.

I hit the highlights with my friends. We went to Vivace, Victrola. We did the neighborhood tour, with my personal favorite, Makeda. We even missed a few I would have liked to show off, like Fiore and El Diablo. But, as with food, there are only so many pounds of coffee you can consume before exploding. There is just too much good coffee in Seattle. That is a fact. I doubt there is a place outside of Italy to get better. As a Seattle denizen, I am legally and morally obligated to point this out to visitors.

Now, however, I am forced to come down for a week. I think this is the cause of most of the strange behavior in Seattle. The person you see acting surly and withdrawn on the street may not be a jerk. He could be coming down after having ten shots of espresso a day for a week. He may actually be a pleasant person, adjusting to the lack of caffeine high. Keep that in mind when you visit us, and be gentle. Also, try our coffee. It's amazing.

ps. Enjoy the lovely picture of Arkaedi Sue. She's great.

No comments: