Sunday, October 18, 2009

Age, Football, Illness


Well, my kids are getting into the heart of cold and flu season in style. Meaning, I had a child vomiting on me all night. But, as luck would have it, we also got our cable hooked up this weekend, so I got to hold a feverish boy while watching baseball playoffs and football games. So, it was not so bad. I got a chance to see some good games, even though the cursed Yankees won.

I'm enjoy sports more than I ever have before. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I have a few ideas. One, I get older and the superficial, us vs. them mentality falls away. Two, I see lessons in people working hard and finding success through their skills. As a youth, it's easy to write off what people do that makes them successful. I not only respect the players and coaches more, I respect everyone involved. It takes work to be good at what you do. I respect a lot of people now that I never did; I know it isn't easy to get up and get your work done. ('Yours' work as Viri used to say.)

Another big reason is the insanity of my week. I'm working a lot, watching different kids. It takes a lot of energy. So, it's nice to have something I can enjoy that is low stakes. It's fun to just watch a game, and not really worry for a few hours about money, or illness. I can just relax, cuddle up to a child, and save my energy for the week. As I write this, Arkaedi Sue is snuggled into my lap, half asleep. It's a great way to unwind after a long week.

Get well, kids. Crawl up here and watch some sports with Papa. I'm that kind of dad now.

No comments: