Friday, May 8, 2009

I Boldly Went

I got to see the new Star Trek movie today, and like most of the reviews I've read, I have to say it is awesome. I didn't think I would have time to see it, but last minute I ran out and caught the seven pm showing. If I didn't see it today, I'd have to wait for a few weeks, and I was too excited about this film to wait. I wasn't disappointed. It was very different from previous incarnations, which is a good thing. I love Star Trek. I really do. But it needed a shot in the arm, and this movie was that.

There were the fun nods to the past series, with some catch phrases placed in certain scenes. It was a gesture to the fan community, to explain that they loved the old stuff, no offense gentlemen, but we're doing our own thing. And it really worked. The characters were fun, the performances were spot on, and it was exciting and fun.

We went to the old Neptune theater, which I haven't visited in a while. It's a great old theater, and a surprisingly nice place to see a film. We sat in the balcony, which is the place to be in both Cinerama and the Neptune. Mostly because I'm short.


This movie will easily be one of my favorites, I can already tell. It's just what I want from a film: Fun, some nice action, good characters that I care about. Plus, there is a sword fight in the upper atmosphere. Who doesn't love that?

So, go see it. You'll have fun.

No comments: